Because of their 95% percent success rate, many of the patients at Reger Family Dental select dental implants to replace their missing or damaged teeth. They also choose this option because implants are easy to care for and look just like natural teeth. In fact, all it takes is a few short visits with Dr. Reger to restore a beautiful smile and help you regain your confidence. However, despite the many benefits of dental implants, there are a few daily habits that can interfere with your chance of long-term success. Continue reading to discover some important ways that you can protect your investment and ensure that your gorgeous new smile lasts for many years to come.
Here are nine simple steps you can take to increase your chances of success after dental implant placement:
1) Avoid chewing on the dental implant site. One of the most important tips we suggest is that patients avoid chewing on the implant site. Avoiding this area will allow the delicate tissue a sufficient opportunity to heal. You may be tempted to chew on the site once you no longer experience pain, but avoid this temptation. Your implant site may still be fusing despite the fact that you no longer feel pain. As such, it is best to avoid chewing on the site until you are directed that is safe to do so.
2) Follow doctor’s orders. Once your procedure is complete, we will send you home with a complete list of aftercare instructions so that you won’t have to guess or remember what you need to do after your implants have been placed. Additionally, take all of your medications as directed, even if you feel better and are not experiencing pain. You may also be prescribed antibiotics to prevent infection. Use of these can only be effective if they are used as directed.
3) Reduce alcohol intake. Hydrated oral tissues heal better and faster. Alcohol can dehydrate oral tissues, interfere with your body’s ability to heal, and increase your chances of oral health problems. If you want the best chance of your implants healing properly, you should avoid alcohol until your dental implants have completely healed.
4) Halt use of tobacco products. Much like alcohol consumption, use of tobacco can dehydrate oral tissues, interfere with healing, and increase your chances of oral diseases and cancers. Studies have also shown that smoking creates a long-term danger to dental implant patients because it can increase the chances of periodontal disease and dental implant failure.
5) Clean and inspect the implant site regularly. It is very important to keep the implant site clean and inspect the area regularly to ensure that your implant fixtures heal completely. Seeing your dentist regularly is also critical since it will allow them to inspect and clean your implants.
6) Brush, floss, and see your dentist regularly. Dental hygiene is extremely important to maintaining a healthy smile. A clean mouth with help implant fixtures heal better and faster. Aim for brushing after each meal and flossing at least once a day.
7) Reduce sugar consumption. Consuming sugar can change the pH balance in your mouth, increase plaque in your mouth, and increase your chances of cavity formation. And brushing doesn’t always help prevent this issue. The best way to keep your teeth and smile healthy is to avoid sugar all together.
8) Avoid eating certain foods. Hard foods can crack, loosen or damage natural teeth and dental implants alike. Avoid hard candies, very hard breads, and other substances that could potentially damage your teeth.
9) Choose a well-balanced diet. A balanced diet helps keep teeth and gums strong and healthy. This tip also assists with helping the body stay healthy so that it can fight off infection and heal faster.
Here at Reger Family Dental, our friendly and skilled staff would love to help you repair your unattractive, missing, or damaged teeth with beautiful dental implants. In just a few short office visits, patients can regain oral health and restore a beautiful smile. If you live in the San Antonio, TX area, don’t wait to get that gorgeous smile you have always dreamed of. Call us today or check out the rest of our specially created dental implants infosite for more information about the dental implants process or your financing options.
Dr. Chris Reger
8213 Rough Rider Dr.
San Antonio, TX
Monday: 7AM – 2PM
Tuesday: 8:30AM – 6PM
Wednesday: 7AM – 2PM
Thursday: 8:30AM – 6PM
Friday: 8AM – 12PM